Recent Water Damage Posts
When Winter Weather Strikes Be Prepared to Strike Back
Ice Dam diagram
Here's how to prepare your Ravenswood home:
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it off.
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.
Here's how to prepare your Ravenswood business:
- Check your business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Weather, such as wind, heavy rain, ice and snow can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Inspect walkways, and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potentials.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas.
- Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present.
Ask SERVPRO of Ravenswood about starting a Disaster Recovery Plan for your business. Call us at 773-878-5200 today!
Ice dams can be a major problem during the winter season. They form when heated air melts roof snow downward into water that is dammed behind still-frozen ice. When the trapped water cannot safely flow or run into the gutter system, it can backflow under the roof's shingles and into the structure's interior area, causing leaks and damage. We can help mitigate Ravenswood water damage caused by these ice dams and help you get your structure back to preloss condition.
Puffback is a messy furnace malfunction that occurs when an oil burner backfires, sending soot throughout your home or business. It can happen all at once, covering an interior in grimy soot, or a puffback can leak soot particles more gradually. Equipped with the training, tools and experience to quickly and efficiently clean and restore your Ravenswood home or business, we will help make your puffback seem "Like it never even happened."
Signs That You Need To Hire a Water Damage Repair Professional Lincoln Square
AVOID entering a room that has a water-logged ceiling!
Your Lincoln Square home was flooded. There’s little doubt about it. You arrived home from work to find puddles of water on the floor with objects floating about, all caused by a broken pipe. You turned off the water to your Lincoln Square home and are about to call in a water damage repair professional to take on the cleanup job. But do you? Or is it something that you can handle yourself? Let’s go over some of the criteria in order to help you make this decision.
Your Lincoln Square Basement Is Submerged In Several Inches of Water
A submerged basement can lead to a number of problems, all of which an expert water damage repair company can deal with. They can pump out the water, work with a plumbing company to repair the problem (if it was a damaged pipe), and then restore everything in your basement until it looks just as it did before the flood. SERVPRO of Ravenswood experts can even identify secondary problems, such as the beginnings of mold before they even begin.
Your Carpeting Is Soaked
It can be tricky to remove water from carpeting. The pad underneath is most likely soaked and will probably need to be discarded. Since mold can easily grow in these waterlogged conditions, you want to call in a water damage restoration company to restore your carpeting back to how it used to be. There’s no need to rip out the carpeting and have a new one installed if SERVPRO of Ravenswood could save it!
Your Ceilings Are Sagging
A sagging ceiling is a sign that water has ruined the structural integrity of your building. You should never go into a room with a sagging ceiling because you don’t want to be underneath if it were to collapse. If you see problems of this magnitude, then you need to call your local water damage repair company Lincoln Square. They will be able to remove the water, shore up the ceiling, and then conduct any necessary restoration.
You Want the Experts to Handle the Job
Sometimes you just don’t have the time to deal with a flooded basement Lincoln Square, no matter how minor the incident is. If this is the case, then go ahead and call SERVPRO of Ravenswood. It’s their duty to help. Call for your free inspection today, 773-878-5200
Flooded Basement Clean-up Lincoln Square
If you have descended the stairs into your basement only to find it flooded with murky dirty water, you’re probably wondering what the heck happened? Basement flooding Lincoln Square can usually be attributed to inadequate drainage around the walls, torrential downpours during storms or a faulty sub-pump. Basement flooding can occur not only in wet conditions such as heavy rain or rapid snowmelts, but it can also happen when the weather is dry.
What should I do if my basement is flooded Lincoln Square?
For your own safety, it is important that you do not enter a flooded basement for any reason. First, if the power is still on you run the risk of electrocution, and second water can harbor bacteria that is harmful to your health.
If you find your basement flooded then call our expert team, SERVPRO of Ravenswood, who will bring a flood clean-up and restoration team as soon as possible. If you are able to call within the first 24-48 hours, then you limit the amount of damage caused to your Lincoln Square home or business, and therefore reduce the cost of the repairs. When SERVPRO of Ravenswood arrives, they may ask if you know where your electricity, water, and gas shut off valves are. Do not worry if you are unsure our trained technicians will locate these valves and switch them off to make the area safe prior to starting any assessments or mitigation.
Once the area is safe, they will assess the area to ascertain the cause if not readily apparent. They will then use special equipment to remove the water from the basement enabling them to assess the damage caused by the water. This can include damage caused by water penetrating the walls where waterproofing has failed as well as flooring damage if you have a carpet installed.
They will also move content that are irretrievably damaged from the basement so that the damp, moisture and secondary damage cannot spread from these items and cause further issues.
After the main body of water is removed, they will begin the dying & dehumidification process, drying the area completely removing any moisture - if caught early enough this will stop mold spores from developing in the basement of your Lincoln Square home or business. If mold has already started to develop, they will remove all instances of mold both external and internal to the walls to make certain that the infestation is gone and will not return.
If the problem was a burst pipe or faulty sump pump, we highly recommend you contact the appropriate tradesmen to repair the cause so that the flooding does not occur again.
The final step to our process is cleaning and sanitizing. Our technicians will carry out what is necessary to complete the cleanup process, to the highest standard, and with the least amount of impact to you and your Lincoln Square home or business.
Water Damage Repair and Restoration Manor Residents
Water damage in your Manor home can be a cause for concern not only because of the damage but also the health risks to people living in within. Luckily SERVPRO of Ravenswood is nearby and can help mitigate the situation immediately!
The main causes of water damage in residential properties are:
- Burst or leaking pipes – This is particularly prevalent in the winter where sudden temperature changes can cause weakness in pipes
- Issues with the plumbing system – this can include but is not limited to blockages in the system causing leaks due to pressure build up
- Faulty or malfunctioning household appliances – This could be a washing machine or dishwasher that has developed a fault causing water to leak from the appliance
- HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning units)
- Natural disasters or inclement weather conditions
What damage can water cause?
Primary water damage is the areas of your home that have become wet or damp as a result of water intrusion. Although you may see water leaking from one area, this may not always be the origin of the problem which is not always visible to the naked eye.
Secondary damage can occur if the primary water damage was not treated properly and further moisture damage has occurred. Secondary damage can include weakened and disintegrating drywall, warped and cupped flooring, and mold growth can occur.
Mold growth not only causes damage to structures but is also a serious health concern if not properly and completely treated. Mold spores can be highly damaging to respiratory systems particularly those who are older, young children and people with existing respiratory health issues such as asthma.
Should I call a professional?
It can be tempting to clear the area yourself. However, you may only be treating the visible effects of the damage, not the root cause. This can lead to secondary water damage which is more costly to fix.
Manor residents, as soon as you are aware of water damage in your property you should call our expert water damage restoration team, SERVPRO of Ravenswood at 773-878-5200. Ensuring that you call a professional with 24-48 hours can save your home from secondary water damage which can save you money on the restoration needed.
Our trained technicians will use specialist equipment to discover the source of the water ingress to your property. Once this is located, they will set to work on restoring the cause of the intrusion of the water. Plumbers and general contractors can assist in repairing burst pipes, clearing blockages. Our technicians will contain flood water then clean & restore the affected areas of primary water damage removing the damp and moisture to ensure there is no further impact. If caught early enough this can ensure that secondary water damage cannot occur. If the water damage has been present for longer than 48 hours our team will also clean and repair any secondary damage if found. This can include removing and replacing damaged drywall, checking and repairing any structural damage and remediating mold from the source so you can be assured that your family’s health is not at risk. Contact us today with questions or concerns about water damage repair and restoration Manor residents; 773-878-5200.
Sewage Cleanup and Restoration Northcenter
Sewage backup fail, damage leading to adjacent room.
While not all too common, Northcenter residents & property managers, sewage backups can be quite nasty and should be considered a type of emergency. This is because the water in a sewage backup may have bacteria, viruses, feces and other waste materials in it.
That is why when sewage cleanup and restoration are required; it is best to go to a certified sewage cleanup and restoration specialist– SERVPRO of Ravenswood. They will be able to safely clean and remove contaminants and restore any damages that may have been sustained during the sewage backup.
It is not advised to do sewage cleanup yourself, as there are risks to health associated with sewage. It is no big secret that sewage usually contains some sort of feces or urine. This causes the sewage water to contain various types of allergens and pathogens that can be extremely harmful to a person’s health.
Northcenter residents & property managers, anybody who comes into contact with the sewage backup is at great risk of acquiring illness. This does not just include the general public. It also includes the sewage cleanup and restoration specialists – SERVPRO of Ravenswood - who will be cleaning the sewage, disinfecting the area and restoring anything that was damaged. During any stage of the sewage cleanup and restoration process, there is a real threat of contracting some sort of bacterial, fungal, viral or parasitic illness.
While the possibility of contracting some sort of illness during the sewage cleanup and restoration process is very high, there are different types of contaminated water related to sewage backups; examples are:
- When of water is considered to be clean water to the common eye. This is water that comes from a source that has not been contaminated. This may include a broken water pipe or leaky sink faucet. This water is fresh and has not yet been contaminated by anything. However, if this is left untreated, it has the possibility to turn into contaminated water, so must be addressed immediately.
- When water appears gray. This may be contaminated in some sense and has the possibility to cause illness or discomfort. Some examples of this kind of water could be water from a leaky washing machine or dishwasher, soapy water or dirty dishwater. This water more than likely contains viruses and bacteria and also needs to be addressed immediately. If not addressed, it can quickly evolve into the third and final category of water.
- When is water is black. This water is extremely contaminated and will cause severe illness and even death if not handled correctly or ingested. Water like this may be contaminated with harsh chemicals, microbes, and untreated sewage.
No matter which level of sewage backup you experience, Northcenter residents & property managers , it is highly advised to have a sewage backup and restoration professional – SERVPRO of Ravenswood - come out and handle the situation. We will be able to clean and dispose of the contaminated water and restore any damages that occurred during the sewage backup. Call today and schedule your FREE inspection; 773-878-5200.
Water Damage Restoration Lincoln Park
What Is Under The Carpet?
It is critical to deal with water damage as soon as it occurs, to prevent long-term issues. Waiting to deal with water damage could mean that the damage is irreversible. When objects become waterlogged and are left to sit, they can develop foul smells, and even become infested with mold. Working with our professional team, SERVPRO of Ravenswood, Lincoln Park residents and business owners will be assured that your property is cleaned and restored quickly. The sooner you call us (773-878-5200), the sooner we can begin cleaning up the water damage.
Types of Water Damage SERVPRO of Ravenswood Treats
There are several types of watering and water damage that we can remove and restore; these include:
- Water damage from storms or weather
- Water damage from water pipes bursting
- Sewer line backup and water getting into homes or commercial properties
- Appliance leaks and malfunctions
- Water damage from firefighting efforts
- Toilet leaks, bathtubs, and more.
We specialize in cleaning up homes and commercial spaces that have experienced water damage. Regardless of the kind of water damage your home or business space has undergone, contact SERVPRO of Ravenswood (773-878-5200) to discuss how we can help you restore your property quickly and safely.
Our Clean-up Process
Lincoln Park, call our water damage and restoration team today, and we’ll send a highly trained restoration technician to your home or commercial property to assess the damage and provide a plan for clean up and restoration. Our technicians and professional team will:
- Remove the water from the property or damaged areas of your property.
- Begin the drying and dehumidification process. We use state-of-the-art industrial drying machines that enable us to quickly and easily clear your home or office of unwanted and potentially dangerous water.
- Work to save as much of the original materials and surfaces as possible. Sometimes, though, it is essential to remove severely damaged surfaces, such as drywall, and flooring to reduce the risk of mold and odor developing.
- Clean and sanitize your property and begin restoring your home or office space so that you can't even tell there was water.
Our Water Damage Restoration Technicians are Highly Trained
We are the best water damage and restoration experts in the Lincoln Park area. We'll send a highly skilled and professional trained water damage restoration expert to your home or commercial property within hours of your call. Upon inspection and assessment, our experts will be able to provide you with real solutions to restore your property to its pre-flood state. We know dealing with water damage can be difficult, and our technicians will make the process easier and get you back to functioning order as soon as possible.
Contact Us Today
If you have experienced flooding or water damage in your home or commercial property in Lincoln Park, contact us immediately to begin the cleaning and restoration process; 773-878-5200. Leaving water to sit for even a short period can increase the risk of bacteria, mold, and other contaminants developing in your home or commercial space. We’ll send a technician out to your property right away to assess the damage. Don’t wait to call.
Roscoe Village Water Damage Cleanup and Restoration
Step 3: Water removal and extraction process
When water wreaks havoc to your home, you need to call someone for water damage cleanup with the expertise and equipment to quickly restore your property to pre-water damage condition. In Roscoe Village, our SERVPRO team will use scientific approaches to water removal and water cleanup that puts an emphasis on monitoring and documenting the drying process from start to finish.
When you call, our representative will lead you through a series of questions that will assist us in responding to your water emergency as quickly and efficiently as possible. Knowing about our process will help you feel confident that your property is in good hands.
Inspection and Water Damage Assessment
An initial inspection will take place to determine what areas have been affected and the type of water damage your property has sustained. This is a crucial step in the creation of the most efficient plan of action. Each plan of action has the same goal, a successful restoration.
Removal of Water from the Area
Whether it’s hundreds or thousands of gallons of water that need to be removed, our powerful vacuums and pump systems can handle whatever is thrown at them. The pros at SERVPRO in Roscoe Village will begin this process as soon as possible to minimalize additional damage and assist in the prevention of mold growth.
Drying and Dehumidifying
After the majority of the water has been eliminated, we’ll use specialized equipment to seek out the water that’s harder to remove. SERVPRO uses less intrusive, scientific drying methods in the way of air movers and dehumidifiers to draw the remaining water and moisture from your property.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
Water damage will also harm your other possessions, like clothing, furniture, and other personal items. Your SERVPRO technicians of Roscoe Village are available to clean restorable items using a variety of specialized cleaning techniques. They can also sanitize with antimicrobial treatments and use industrial air scrubbers and fogging tools to remove odors.
This is the final step to restore your home or business back to its pre-damage state. The restoration step can include anything from replacing a few drywall panels up to major reconstruction, like rebuilding entire rooms of a home or office.
Even though every water damage event is a little different and requires a unique solution, the general process will stay the same. No matter how large or small the disaster, your SERVPRO professionals in Roscoe Village are ready to handle your water damage cleanup.
Flood Damage Restoration in Horner Park
Nobody wants to come home to this.
Cleanup emergencies usually don’t occur during regular business hours. In fact, it often happens when you are away from home, welcoming you back to a giant soggy mess.
In Horner Park, knowing who to call for flood damage restoration is just as important as knowing how to dial 911. From standing water in the basement to burst pipes, flood damage can result in tearing out carpeting and hardwood flooring, as well as removing baseboards, drywall, or even demolishing entire kitchens and bathrooms. Having SERVPRO of Ravenswood as your local resource is a luxury you cannot afford to regard. Flood damage can occur from a variety of sources.
Basement Flood Damage
Though you may think that it can only happen during a bad rain storm, your basement is actually susceptible to flooding at any time from a number of scenarios, here are just a few to be aware of:
- Blocked or failed sewer pipes
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
Time is of the essence when dealing with damage that could affect your home’s structure and the health and safety of your family.
Frozen Pipes Flood Damage
We all know that water expands as it freezes. In plumbing and radiator systems, this expansion puts tremendous pressure on the metal or plastic pipes.
- Pipes that freeze most frequently are:
- Outdoor hose bibs
- Swimming pool supply lines
- Water sprinkler lines
- Water supply pipes in unheated interior areas
- Pipes that run against exterior walls with little or no insulation
Hidden Damage and Minor Leaks Can Lead to Major Problems
Water damage can also be hidden from view. A little water stain can lead to larger issues. A small spot on the wall can be the tip of the iceberg. Water from leaky plumbing can swiftly spread throughout your floors and walls, causing the formation of mold and mildew if not addressed.
Radiator leaks might sound minor but they can actually cause a lot of damage. If wood flooring or carpet under the radiator is consistently moist, they can rot over time. On a second floor, small radiator leaks can damage the ceiling below them which can also result in a mold issue in the space between the floor and ceiling.
Know Who to Call
A flooded home is unsafe for your family. Without proper remediation, your environment can become unhealthy. Our crews are professional and trained in how to best remedy any flood damage situation. They are always courteous and understanding of homeowner’s feelings. We as a company have earned trust from homeowners, business owners, and property managers.
Residents of Ravenswood, Horner Park, the Manor, it is important to know how to react and who to call for help. SERVPRO of Ravenswood is your neighbor and we are here to help 24-hours a day – 7 days per week. Providing proper guidance and immediate service for flood damage restoration is the nature of our business.
SERVPRO of Ravenswood is a preferred vendor to many National Insurance Companies. We are held to strict rules by our industry following closely the s500 IICRC Restoration Standards.
For more information about our flood damage restoration services in the Horner Park area or to set up an appointment for a free estimate, please contact SERVPRO of Ravenswood at 773-878-5200
Looking for Water Damage Repair North Center Clues When Shopping For Your New Home
Coordinate an inspection with a certified professional
Are you thinking about buying a new home? After various conversations with realtors in our area, who are super stoked about mortgage rates being at an all-time low, it appears now is a very good time to buy. It’s exciting to shop around and look for that perfect home fit. However, it is also good practice to look for unexpected “baggage” that may come along with the deal. I am referring to water damage repair North Center. Many homes in Chicago are over 50 years old and damage from previous occupants may be undetected at first glance. SERVPRO of Ravenswood has a few helpful hints to follow when shopping for your perfect dream home.
- Look for brownish stains or spots in the ceilings and walls of each room. These spots may lead to rot or mold behind the surfaces.
- If there is an out-of-the-ordinary odor in the air, ask what that is.
- Consider bringing in a certified environmentalist to test for any pre-existing mold damage.
- Don’t be afraid to ask about previous water losses, basement floods, or if it is a multi-unit occupied building inquire about surrounding units who have experience water, fire and mold damage.
- Call SERVPRO of Ravenswood to provide you with a free estimate for any remediation or cleanup needs.
Working collectively with your realtor, insurance agents, previous home owners and your trusted SERVPRO franchise you can rest easier knowing that you everyone is working diligently to help repair or prevent any future (and costly) surprises.
Water Damage Restoration Edgewater
Soaked wood flooring
Many of the calls our franchise receives stem from accidents. We have seen instances where water damage jobs are provoked by scenarios as innocent as a person hanging up a garment on a sprinkler head, to as devastating as not knowing the location of the water shut-off valve to turn off water. This blog talks about a toilet overflow.
Water damage restoration Edgewater can not only result in tearing out carpeting and beautiful hardwood flooring, but also removing baseboards, drywall, and demolishing entire kitchens and bathrooms. One early morning last week a young lady was employed to clean an empty condominium in preparation for a home purchase closing approaching in the upcoming days. As this young lady was cleaning the bathroom, she was using paper towels to wipe around the toilet. Unbeknown to her she erroneously flushed the paper towels the toilet. Flushing paper products that are not as dissolvable as toilet paper can be problematic, as it may be too thick for the water flow to process down through the pipes. In this case, the toilet began to overflow. In a panic, this individual left the building and did not notify the home owner of the overflow. Consequently resulting in a major flood that damaged the condominium, the unit below, and the finished basement further below.
This loss was classified as a large loss, and could have been fully prevented if the water was turned off immediately. Water damage restoration Edgewater can be controlled. You just need to know where to turn off the water and who to call for help; 773-878-5200!
Contact donna@SERVPROravenswood.com for your free water and electric shut off tags!
Water Damage Repair Andersonville
This room was affected by water finding its way downstream.
Water disasters are never an anticipated incident, nor are the costly detriments resulting in the aftershock. For business owners keeping doors open and operations running smoothly are imperative to the livelihood of their profession. If you are not prepared to react to a water damage repair Andersonville, then doors may remain closed for quite some time.
Taking into a case that happened last month to a fabric shop who overcame a burst pipe water loss. Early morning at approximately 5:30 a.m., the owner of the small business was alerted that his store was flooded. Remarkably by 9:30 a.m., that same morning, he was able to open his business and continue without interruption. The local SERVPRO franchise near the area was called and green trucks were quickly in route to facilitate. The water extraction process began and the fabric store able to get back to work. Fortunately, this story resulted more positively since the owner knew who to contact for help. This may not be the case for someone who does not know what to do.
As many know water travels downward. Water damage repair Andersonville has to be addressed throughout a building. SERVPRO’s certified technicians know when, where and how to investigate and clean. Here are some quick tips on what NOT to do when water damage occurs. It is always recommended to contact the professionals who can act quickly and save a business or home from any secondary damage.
- Don’t enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Don’t use household vacuum cleaners to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceiling are sagging from retained water.
- Don’t use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
- DO call SERVPRO of Ravenswood at 773-878-5200 for immediate support!
Chicago Water Damage Cleanup SERVPRO Ravenswood
Chicago Water Damage Cleanup SERVPRO Ravenswood
“A broken water pipe sounds like a minor home repair problem, but you’ll never know how bad it can be until it happens to you."
Water damage cleanup emergencies don’t typically occur during regular business hours, nor does it usually happen while you’re standing next to your water shut off valve readily prepared to turn it off just at that precise moment. Rather it happens when you are away from home, only to be greeted by a wet mess upon your return. Residents of Ravenswood, Horner Park, the Manor, it is important to know what to do, how to react and who to call for help. SERVPRO of Ravenswood is your neighbor and we are here to help 24-hours a day – 7 days per week. Providing proper guidance and immediate service is the nature of our business.
Water damage can also be hidden from view. A little water stain can lead to larger issues. We'd like to take this opportunity to share with you a noteworthy story on the detriments on what a small spot on the wall unveiled. Because water can swiftly spread throughout your floors and walls, immediate response is vital. Knowing who to call is most important. Email donna@SERVPROravenswood.com for a free refrigerator magnet so that you are prepared. She will be happy to send you one today!
Water Damage Edgewater
Rendering depicting water damage in a home.
Water Damage Edgewater and The Importance of Renters Insurance
When our scheduler Daniel, receives a call for a water damage Edgewater loss he almost immediately asks, "What type of insurance coverage do your carry?" You see, like with any business, the question of payment has to be addressed from the get go. Some people opt to pay out of pocket, some have already submitted a claim and some are only asking for estimates so that they can figure out how to come up with payment. In my recent visits to various insurance agent offices I have sparked conversation revolving around water damage Edgewater and asked them for their advice on the importance of renters insurance. Undeniably they were all open for recommendations, as they as well as SERVPRO of Ravenswood have witnessed firsthand the hurt tenants feel when their personal treasures are destroyed due to an unexpected catastrophe.
Us old fogies (I speak loosely of course) already know – with our infinite knowledge over time and experience – the value behind protecting ourselves. But what about our offspring, our recent graduates, our soon-to-be roommate to another GenY who "I know, ma’" you all day long? We ask ourselves, do they really know? Probably not. Let us not forget, from an opposite spectrum the loving grandparent who resides in the lower level of your two-flat. According to Edgar Camargo, a five-year State Farm representative, says "that other level is considered a separate unit. They should have a separate policy, or with other insurance companies a rider." Whichever scenario applies to you, the bottom line is expecting the unexpected is the responsible move because, come on, who really expects water damage or smoke damage? We just thank our lucky stars that it hasn’t happened to us!
Once you’ve come to terms with shopping for the right coverage remember to keep in mind and ask your agents specific questions about water damage, smoke damage, and even mold remediation. Keep things at bay with other irreplaceables; such as an expensive wedding ring, heirlooms, iPads/electronics, and for you global travelers who work in music or sport, are your instruments and equipment insured? The list can go on depending on your life style and employment. Edgar wisely advises to "check the limitations on your caps", while another State Farm Agent, Nicole Page recommends to "look at your itemized floaters". I understand that these terms may roll off our tongues since this is our industry, but please take them as your own and talk with confidence. This way when Daniel receives that water damage Edgewater call you can assuredly acknowledge that you are prepared and secure with insurance coverage.
The purpose of this blog is to highlight water damage Edgewater, or any of our wonderful Chicago neighborhoods on the importance of renters insurance.
Albany Park water damage restoration
This Albany Park home’s basement has water damage due to heavy rains.
Albany Park water damage restoration could be in your life sooner than you might think. Your basement is susceptible to flooding at any time, even thought you might think that it only happens during a storm event. Since your basement is the lowest level of your home and lower than the sidewalk anytime the city sewers burp you can have water damage in your home. Listed below are the reasons for Albany Park water damage restoration needs for your home:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
You have to be quick in reaction towards Albany Park water damage and it has to be done properly. Time is of the essence otherwise you could be damaging your home’s structure and also the health and safety of your family.
Here are the things you need to understand when water damage occurs: a flooded home is unsafe for your family, will eventually become an unhealthy environment and the home/foundation can sustain lifelong damages. SERVPRO of Ravenswood prides itself in a crew that is professional and trained in how to best remedy the situation. They are always courteous and understanding of homeowner’s feelings. We as a company have earned trust from homeowners, business owners and property managers.
When in need of Albany Park water damage restoration we are here for you 24 hours 7 days a week. SERVPRO of Ravenswood is a preferred vendor to many National Insurance Companies. We are held to strict rules by our industry following closely the s500 IICRC Restoration Standards.
Examples of damaged floors over time caused by leaky radiators.
Radiator leaks sound minor but they can actually cause a lot of damage to a home. If your wood flooring becomes wet continuously it will rot over time. A small radiator leak can also cause unforeseen damages to the ceiling below, which later can result in a mold issue inside the space between floor and ceiling.
In this video: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/how-to-repair-whistling-and-leaky-steam-radiator , This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey silences a leaky, squeaky steam radiator.
1. Turn down thermostat to shut off steam-heat system.
2. Wrap Teflon tape around the threads on new air vent.
3. Twist off old air vent by hand; cover vent with cloth to protect hand.
4. Thread new air vent into radiator. Hand tighten vent to vertical position.
5. Unscrew handle from top of the radiator valve.
6. Use an adjustable wrench to loosen and remove the packing nut that holds the stem to the valve.
7. Wrap graphite packing around threaded portion of the valve stem.
8. Thread the packing nut back onto the valve and tighten with a wrench. 9. Replace the valve handle.
10. Turn up thermostat to start the steam-heat system. Check for leaks or high-pitched whistling.
Frozen Pipes: Preventing and Thawing Frozen Pipes
Home owners were out of state for the winter which resulted in massive damage when a pipe burst in the house and spilled out and refroze outside.
Being prepared and informed may help you to avoid the messy and often expensive issue of frozen pipes. The American Red Cross provides information and suggestions around how to prevent water pipes in the home from freezing, and how to thaw them if they do freeze.
Why Pipe Freezing is a Problem
Water has a unique property in that it expands as it freezes. This expansion puts tremendous pressure on whatever is containing it, including metal or plastic pipes. No matter the "strength" of a container, expanding water can cause pipes to break. Pipes that freeze most frequently are those that are exposed to severe cold, like outdoor hose bibs, swimming pool supply lines, water sprinkler lines, and water supply pipes in unheated interior areas like basements and crawl spaces, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets. Pipes that run against exterior walls that have little or no insulation are also subject to freezing.
Preventing Frozen Pipes
Before the onset of cold weather, prevent freezing of these water supply lines and pipes by following these recommendations:
- Drain water from swimming pool and water sprinkler supply lines following manufacturer's or installer's directions. Do not put antifreeze in these lines unless directed. Antifreeze is environmentally harmful, and is dangerous to humans, pets, wildlife, and landscaping.
- Remove, drain, and store hoses used outdoors. Close inside valves supplying outdoor hose bibs. Open the outside hose bibs to allow water to drain. Keep the outside valve open so that any water remaining in the pipe can expand without causing the pipe to break.
- Check around the home for other areas where water supply lines are located in unheated areas. Look in the basement, crawl space, attic, garage, and under kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Both hot and cold water pipes in these areas should be insulated.
- Consider installing specific products made to insulate water pipes like a "pipe sleeve" or installing UL-listed "heat tape," "heat cable," or similar materials on exposed water pipes. Newspaper can provide some degree of insulation and protection to exposed pipes – even ¼” of newspaper can provide significant protection in areas that usually do not have frequent or prolonged temperatures below freezing.
During Cold Weather, Take Preventative Action
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
- When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much more costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
- If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
To Thaw Frozen Pipes
- If you turn on a faucet and only a trickle comes out, suspect a frozen pipe. Likely places for frozen pipes include against exterior walls or where your water service enters your home through the foundation.
- Keep the faucet open. As you treat the frozen pipe and the frozen area begins to melt, water will begin to flow through the frozen area. Running water through the pipe will help melt ice in the pipe.
- Apply heat to the section of pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, a portable space heater (kept away from flammable materials), or by wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water. Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, charcoal stove, or other open flame device.
- Apply heat until full water pressure is restored. If you are unable to locate the frozen area, if the frozen area is not accessible, or if you can not thaw the pipe, call a licensed plumber.
- Check all other faucets in your home to find out if you have additional frozen pipes. If one pipe freezes, others may freeze, too.
Pipe Burst Floods Entire 3-Story Building In Lincoln Park
Icicles hanging from the third floor all the way to the ground
During the recent artic freeze we faced, a third floor pipe burst caused an entire building to flood and the water almost instantly froze. The homeowner was out of town and arrived to see icicles hanging all over his home. The worried homeowner immediately called SERVPRO of Ravenswood to mitigate the water damage.
SERVPRO of Ravenswood Responds to Water Damage Emergency
On Friday afternoon, SERVPRO of Ravenswood immediately responded to a lakefront, high-rise building in the Uptown neighborhood. A pipe burst caused water damage to five floors and several units in the building. Upon arrivial, the Tom and his crew began to stabilize the water damage. Within hours, SERVPRO of Ravenswood had the situation under control.